Automations lets you automate actions in your home based on other actions or sensor reports. For example you can make automations that notifies you, turns on/off lights, adjusts temperature, locks your door, changes modes, runs a shortcut or similar.
To make this happen automatically you add "triggers". This can be when a door is opened, a sensor reports more or less than a given value, motion is detected, or so on. When you make an automation you can choose from all the devices in your household, independent of the room they belong to.
Time based automation examples:
- Change to Home mode every week day at 07:00
- Change to Home mode every weekend at 10:00 if current mode is not vacation
- Run a shortcut at 07:00 once
- Turn on 5 lights at 19:00 if home is in Home mode
- Set temperature to 22 degrees at 06:00 every day
- Turn off outside lights everyday 30 minutes after sunrise
Motion based automation examples:
- If there is motion in the living room, and the home is in home mode, turn on 3 lights, and turn off after 30 minutes
- If there is motion in the hallway, and the home is in sleep mode, set the brightness of 2 lights to 10%, and turn off after 15 minutes
- If there is motion from a sensor and the home is in away, send out a notification
To make a new automation, go to "settings → automations" and click on "new automation".