A Z-Wave association is a direct link between devices. It allows them to communicate without passing information through the Smarthub. For example, you can associate a wireless switch directly with a dimmer.
- The association works even if the Smarthub is switched off.
- Associations are one-way communication, from one device to the other.
- Devices in the associations both have to be included and have the same level of security.
- Since it is a direct connection, the devices depend on being in relative proximity to each other.
Creating an association
- Go to settings → devices → select the first device (communication will proceed from this device to the other).
- Select associations.
- Choose a group.
A group number defines what function you want to use. Refer to the device’s user manual to learn more.
Note: Group 1 is the communication path from the device to Smarthub. The usual functions in most cases will start at group 2.
- Wake the battery-powered device up.
If your device is battery-powered you have to put it in inclusion mode before proceeding. Refer to the device’s user manual to learn how to do this.
- Press next.
- Select the device you want to control. (Not the one sending the signal, but the one receiving).
- If you had to wake up the device in step 4, do it again.
- Press done.