This article is a guide on how to setup a connection between Google Home and Futurehome. The Google Home integration is still in beta testing, meaning you need an invitation to participate in the testing. If you want to participate you can apply here. Remember to use the google account you use with Google Home
All communication about Google Home integration must be done in English on the Slack community in the private dedicated channel for #google_home.
With the Google Home integration you can use a Google Assistant enabled device to control your devices in Futurehome, this can be through Google Home or an Android phone.
When you connect Futurehome with the Google Home app, all supported devices from active Futurehome site will be added to the Google Home app.
- Lights - Dimmers and relays (color lights is not supported)
- Appliances - All on/off appliances in Futurehome will show up
- Shortcuts - All shortcuts will show up as scenes in Google Home
- Modes - One device with the site name will be the "mode switch" in Google Home
- Thermostats - not supported yet
- Door locks - not supported by Google
To connect Google Home to Futurehome you need the Google Home app, and an invitation for the email you use with Google Home.
Click the link to enable the Futurehome integration in the Google Home app.
After opening the link, follow the steps the below.
After the link is pressed:
- Open the Google Home app
- Press the Add button
- Select Set up device and then select Works with Google
- You should see [test] Futurehome
- If you don't see [test] Futurehome, check the link one more time, and be sure that you are logged in with the same Google account that you use for the Google Home app.
- Click [test] Futurehome and log in with your Futurehome user.
- When you log in the Google Home app will get all device from active site, so if you have several sites in your Futurehome app be sure that the active one is the one you want to connect.
- Give Google Home access when prompted with the question.
- When the app is done loading you should be taken back to the device overview with all your Futurehome devices.
As mentioned under Functionality there are only some supported devices in Google Home, this is mainly due to missing device types and traits in Google Actions API
After Futurehome is connected all devices will have the Futurehome names with room name in parentheses. The name of the device should be changed to something thats easy to remember and use with Google Home. Devices also needs to be placed in rooms in Google Home
After connecting you will get one device named after the site name. It's recommended to change the name of this device to Apartment or House or something that can be used in this sentens:
Ok Google, set the apartment in home mode. Home can be replaced with away, sleep or vacation.
Shortcuts are converted to scenes in Google Home. A scene can be trigged with the following:
Ok Google, activate dinner scene.
It's recommended to name your senes so that they are easy to trigger.
Lights can be dimmed or turned on/off. You can also ask google to turn off or on all lights or all lights in a room.
Appliances can be turned on/off.
If you add new Futurehome devices or shortcuts you can ask Google to sync your devices. This will add new Futurehome devices to your Google Home app.
To unlink the Futurehome connection you press the [test] Futurehome in the Google Home app and select unlink. All Futurehome devices will disappear from the Google Home app.